Ludlow is a thriving medieval market town with an historic, unspoiled town center situated on a cliff above the River Teme. It is surrounded by the beautiful hilly countryside of south Shropshire and the Welsh border country, known as the Welsh Marches (a term still commonly used to describe those parts of the English counties which lie along the border with Wales).
Stokesay Castle built by Lawrence of Ludlow, a wealthy local wool-merchant who bought the property in 1281, when the long Anglo-Welsh wars were ending. The still surviving house was finished by 1291.
St Leonards Church, which closed for worship in 1973, in Ludlow. The Church, designed by Sir Gilbert Scott, was built in 1870.
St. Laurence's Parish Church. It was mostly re-built in the mid-15th century but some earlier features survive. The written record of a parish church on the same site goes back over 800 years to 1199.
Hollyhocks in the St. Laurence Church garden.
Old Bull Ring Tavern a 17th Century jettied house (upper floors overhang lower ones).
The Tolsey House and Attached Railings built in 1420 as a medieval toll-booth with a court room over an open ground floor. On the ground floor tolls were collected for the market.
On the left is 1 Broad Street a box frame house built in 1462. On the right is The Buttercross built in 1746.
Castle Lodge, a medieval Tudor and Elizabethan architectural transition period house.
Tudor style but more modern house.
Castle Square Ludlow as viewed from the Castle with the cathedral tower in the distance.
Historic Marker, Ludlow Castle.
Jim on the right at the entry to Ludlow Castle grounds.
Ludlow Castle. Walter de Lacy came to England with William the Conqueror in 1066. He is linked with the earliest development. His sons built the earliest surviving parts that can still be seen today.
Doorway into the side of the Castle.
Along the back edge of Ludlow Castle.
Park just outside the gate to Ludlow Castle with a captured 26 pounder Sevastopol Cannon that stands guard.
2 Dinham Street, Ludlow, which was burned in the Civil War and rebuilt in 1656.
Historic marker 2 Dinham Street, Ludlow.
Tudor style but probably relatively modern house just across the street from Ludlow Castle.
Castle Lodge Historic Marker. The medieval (stone) part of the house was built in the 13th Century.
Francie Stoutamire Photography