The Château de Vincennes was built between the 14th and 17th centuries. It is the most extensive French royal castle still in existence and is located just east of the Paris city center. When it was abandoned by the kings of France, the dungeon became a prison. Among those kept there were famous philosophers Diderot and Voltaire, author Marquis de Sade imprisoned for his erotic novels, and politicians Nicolas Fouquet and Mirabeau.
The Square Carnot was created after the development of the Carnot area, large cavalry barracks situated opposite the Chateau de Vincennes in 1889.
The north entrance to the Château de Vincennes east of Paris.
Historic marker at the north entrance to the Château de Vincennes.
Brief outline of the history of Château de Vincennes.
Site plan of the Château de Vincennes.
Detail of the north entrance to the Château de Vincennes.
Jim in front of the WW II monument to men executed at Château de Vincennes by the Nazis.
Château de Vincennes monument to 29 French patriots that the Nazis executed here.
Saint Louis dispensing justice under the oak of Vincennes from a painting by Pierre-Narcisse Guérin.
Marker next to oak planted in memory of Saint Louis at the Château de Vincennes.
Manor water supply system historic marker at the Château de Vincennes.
Jim standing on the foundations (you can see the stairs going down) of the original manor water supply system at the Château de Vincennes.
The foundations (you can see the stairs going down) of the original manor water supply system at the Château de Vincennes and the oak tree just behind is the one planted in memory of Saint Louis.
Historic marker at the Sainte-Chapelle de Vincennes.
In front of the keep at the Château de Vincennes.
East end of the Sainte-Chapelle de Vincennes a Gothic chapel. It was founded in 1379 by Charles V of France to house relics of the passion of Christ.
Front of the Sainte-Chapelle de Vincennes. Its design by Temple and Montereau was based on that of the Sainte-Chapelle in Paris. Main entrance is being restored behind the purple facade.
The gate house to the keep at Château de Vincennes housed France's first public clock.
Interior of the Sainte-Chapelle de Vincennes looking toward the altar. The original bell from the keep clock is on the right rear.
The original bell from the Château de Vincennes keep gatehouse is now in the Sainte-Chapelle de Vincennes.
Translation of marble plaque originally on the grave of Louis Antoine de Bourbon in the Sainte-Chapelle de Vincennes.
Francie Stoutamire Photography