A very busy and fun day that started with a walk along the city walls of Londonderry and then thru the streets of Derry to Guildhall Square. Francie and Jim did a solo trip to see St. Columb's Cathedral, which was empty of tourists, before touring the Guildhall. Then on to the Giant's Causeway with a brief stop for a view of Dunluce Castle. Our tour guide was kind enough to allow a brief stop for a picture at the site of the estate of Craig which belonged to Jim's 4th great-grandfather who became a fur trader at Sault St. Marie, MI. We then followed the coastal highway to our night's lodging on the shore of Ballygally Bay.
Mothers and Sons mural in Londonderry, Northern Ireland depicting members of the Irish National Liberation Army and their mothers/sisters. The girl on the left is pointing at the Dove of Peace mural.
Civil rights mural, Londonderry, Northern Ireland painted in 2004 by the Bogside Artists to depict a civil rights march of the 1960s.
Bloody Sunday mural, Londonderry, Northern Ireland shows a group men, led by a local Catholic priest (later to become Bishop Daly), carrying the body of Jack (Jackie) Duddy from the shooting site.
Bernadette Devlin mural, Londonderry, Northern Ireland
Bishops Gate is one of 4 original gates in the Derry city walls. It was replaced in 1789 by a triumphal arch marking the first centenary of the closing of the gates by The Apprentice Boys of Derry.
Panoramic view to the west from the Derry city walls above the Bishops Gate. The steeple on the right is that of St Eugene's Cathedral opened in 1873.
Telephoto view of the St Columba's Church Long Tower opened in 1788; there has been a church at this site since the 12th Century.
Telephoto view, from near Bishops Gate on the walls of Derry, of St Eugene's Cathedral opened in 1873.
St. Augustine's Church of Ireland. St. Columba built an abbey on this site ca. 543 and with his supporters departed for exile, over a copyright dispute, on the Island of Iona in 563.
Apprentice Boys Memorial Hall, corner of Magazine Street Upper and Society Street, opened in 1877. It is dedicated to the memory of the 13 apprentice boys who closed the city gates in 1688.
A church has been on this site since 1690 and it is the first and only Presbyterian Church within the walls of Derry.
Built between 1805 and 1808 Castle Gate was cut through Londonderry's walls to improve the flow of traffic as the town expanded.
Ronan McNamara, center, our guide for the tour of Londonderry walls is Irish and a practicing Buddhist who has a interesting perspective on Irish history and did an excellent job.
The Craft Village in Londonderry is a recreation of a ca. 1800 street with various shops selling a mixture of modern and "vintage" goods.
Approaching the inside of the Shipquay Gate after our tour of the Londonderry walls. This is one of the original 4 city gates with the present archway dating to 1805.
Facing Guildhall Square is the Guildhall which serves as the civic center of Londonderry. Both the square and the large indoor Main Hall serve as places to host large public and private events.
Memorial plaque fixed to the Londonderry city walls adjacent to Guildhall Square.
Shipquay Gate from Guildhall Square outside the city walls of Londonderry.
Ferryquay Gate from outside the city walls in its present form dates to 1865. It is one of the 4 original gateways and overlooked the ferryquay on the River Foyle.
Jim Stoutamire standing inside New Gate. New is relative as this gate was built in the 1790s. Before then an opening had been made in the wall here for access to Wapping Lane (now Fountain Street).
Francie Stoutamire Photography